Amiga Forever and C64 Forever 7 "R2" Update
March 4, 2018 - Cloanto released today the "R2" (184.108.40.206) update for
Amiga Forever 7
and C64 Forever 7.
This is a free update for existing version 7 users, who can get the new
release via Help/About/Updates in Amiga Forever and C64 Forever, or by
re-downloading the full package from the ecommerce system (e.g. via the
links in the original confirmation email).
The "R2" build is the result of eight months of work since the previous
major release, and takes into account user feedback, operating system
enhancements and some features that had been on the back burner for a while.
The following is a list of most notable changes since the initial
version 7 release.
High-DPI and Variable-DPI Systems
Windows 10 Fall Creators Update introduced new features to better support
multiple-monitor and high-DPI scenarios (4K and traditional monitor
combinations, etc.) The latest iterations of Amiga Forever and C64 Forever
take full advantage of these improvements, while also adding refinements for
less frequent scenarios, like 15-bit and 16-bit desktops.
Runtime monitor DPI setting changes are now fully supported without
requiring a logoff. Dialogs in general, and details like icons and balloons
look better than ever even after on-the-fly display or system magnification
The initial magnification level ("1X", 2X", etc.) better takes into
account user preferences while reducing "jumpy" emulation startups. The
handling of individual screen boundaries was also improved.
Authoring and Content Curation Features
- Title editor: by holding down Shift when selecting a different
computer model, applicable previous settings are retained (the system
configuration is not reset).
- Added the "Unused Files" group to the listview in the Extras tab,
and to the disks/media listview (Media tab for Amiga platform,
Configuration tab for CBM platform).
- Create Blank Hard Disk dialog: increased the preset RDB size to
support more complex file systems.
- Fast memory limit raised to 64 MB in supported scenarios.
- Z3 memory limit extended to 1792 MB for 64-bit plugins and 960 MB
for 32-bit plugins.
- Added remote control Play/Pause, Stop, Forward and Rewind key codes
to CDTV virtual button definition options.
- When making changes to the guest keyboard layout during an emulation
session, the title layout information can be updated at the end of the
session (no need to Edit the title).
- RP9 Toolbox: the Rescan action may repair manifests of user-edited
RP9 files (without altering the configuration) even when the "Protect
user-edited content" option is set.
- The Convert to RP9 action no longer stops when an empty or corrupt
ZIP file is processed (such files are still reported in the action log).
Player Interface and Options
- More player user interface elements can now be drag-and-drop action
targets. For example, media files (e.g. floppy disk images),
screenshots, audio files, and documentation files can be added to a
title by dragging them over a title in the list.
- Folders referenced via "My Folders" entries can now be renamed or
moved using Windows Explorer even when the player is open.
- File menu: added "Open/Screenshots Folder" command.
- Tools/Restore System Files can now restore plugin configurations
- Tools/Options: added "Reset All" buttons in General, Emulation and
- Tools/Options/Emulation: added "Never" setting for the "Fullscreen
from Player" and "Fullscreen from File Explorer" options.
- Tools/Options/Emulation: added "Audio API" option (e.g.
WASAPI/DirectSound for WinUAE plugin).
Playback Window and Emulation
- Reduced joystick and keyboard input lag.
- In multi-monitor systems, when switching an emulation session to
fullscreen the current display is used as the fullscreen target if the
Fullscreen/Display option is set to Automatic.
- In multi-monitor systems and with Automatic settings, an emulation
session is started in fullscreen if the previous session was closed in
fullscreen (the last display used for fullscreen is used).
- Improved handling of qualifier keys (Shift, Control, Alt) during
emulation sessions. Shortcuts like Ctrl-X are now correctly sent to the
- Added separate 32-bit and 64-bit "Play With" commands to the title
- Added a "keyboard as a game controller" reminder when detecting
actuation of input profile keys during normal keyboard typing.
- Playback window: added context menu and information tooltip for the
Hard Disk icon.
- Added "Help" command to the Keyboard menu (Amiga systems).
- Added "Katakana On/Off" command to the Keyboard menu (Japanese
- Improved security sandbox.
- Plugin and emulation code updates, as per latest versions of WinUAE,
WinFellow and VICE. Special thanks to all developers and testers
- New "Help/Developer" menu (includes logging options which used to be
- Host/Guest Messages dialog: added "Hide Floppy Auto-Seek" option.
- Tools/Build Image: fixed a bug that generated ISO images with
inaccessible directories when they contained file or directory names
with special characters.
- Fixed printer selection in EpsonQ and PostScript modes.
- Addressed incorrect medium insertion prompt at shutdown affecting
RP9 titles with .prg content.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the Crash Reporter to open multiple
- Fixed a Windows version detection issue which could cause an
incorrect "Amiga Forever requires Windows XP SP3..." message.
- Title editor: Show Changes is no longer triggered only by authoring
- Fixed "Guest startup error 105" and "Guest startup error 111"
scenarios (did only affect beta builds).
- Fixed a bug that allowed the runtime selection of conflicting input
profiles in different input ports.
- Solved an initialization issue with the C128 system.
- Fixed selection of listview items on startup.
- Fixed a bug whereby shared shortcuts could stop working after using
the Escape shortcut to exit fullscreen mode.
- Input device options can now be edited and correctly saved for port
1 of CDTV systems.
- Virtual buttons can now be added in "merge with port" mode on port 1
of CDTV systems.
Work in Progress
Our plans for 2018 include not only a long list of application
development goals, but also some infrastructure improvements. Among these,
we aim to have better mechanism in place to document version changes, and to
publish them online and as part of the software update notifications.
If you would like to be among the first to access new features as they
are released, consider enabling "[x] Include beta versions" under Updates in
the Help/About dialog.
Here is a list of changes which are part of the current beta build
- [enhancement] Added Direct3D 11 support for plugins (e.g. if WinUAE
3.6.1 or later is installed).
- [enhancement] Save Snapshot dialog: hitting Enter in the Description
field closes the dialog just like the OK button does.
- [enhancement] RP9 Editor: added Listen button to the Edit Button
Action dialog. When pressed, keyboard or game controller events set the
Action field accordingly.
- [fix] Saving more than one snapshot in the same emulation session
could cause the emulation to freeze with some plugins.
- [fix] Keyboard focus could be lost after saving a snapshot.
- [fix] Keyboard focus could be lost when switching from window mode
to hardware fullscreen, causing issues with Direct3D 11.
- [fix] In some cases, radio button or checkbox images were not
refreshed properly when a change modified another setting.
- [fix] The player no longer crashes when a plugin crashes at the end
of a session.