Amiga Forever and C64 Forever 8 Changelog
The following is a list of most notable changes since version 7. Some
entries represent a few hours of work, while others like the revamped input
device options, the fullscreen controls and the virtual mouse and virtual
keyboard features took months of development.
Playback Window and Emulation
- Added Virtual Keyboard command to the Keyboard context menu
(emulation window status bar); virtual keyboards can also be accessed in
the Options dialog (Input tab), in order to remap their keys.
- Added fullscreen menu: press the Escape key/button to access
toolbar/statusbar commands while in fullscreen mode.
- Reduced joystick and keyboard input lag.
- Improved mouse handling.
- The player now corrects invalid ranges reported by DirectInput for
some game controllers.
- In multi-monitor systems, when switching an emulation session to
fullscreen the current display is used as the fullscreen target if the
Fullscreen/Display option is set to Automatic.
- In multi-monitor systems and with Automatic settings, an emulation
session is started in fullscreen if the previous session was closed in
fullscreen (the last display used for fullscreen is used).
- If Escape with delay (1 second) is active, and the Escape key is
pressed for 3 seconds while in fullscreen, the fullscreen controls are
closed and the emulation is switched to windowed mode.
- Improved handling of qualifier keys (Shift, Control, Alt) during
emulation sessions. Shortcuts like Ctrl-X are now correctly sent to the
- Added separate 32-bit and 64-bit "Play With" commands to the title
- Added a "keyboard as a game controller" reminder when detecting
actuation of input profile keys during normal keyboard typing.
- Playback window: added context menu and information tooltip for the
Hard Disk icon.
- Save Snapshot dialog: hitting Enter in the Description field closes
the dialog just like the OK button does.
- Improved security sandbox.
- Faster commit of modified media at the end of emulation sessions.
- If the "Restore status when opening" option is set, an empty
playlist is not restored at launch, but the last non-playlist selection
is used instead.
- Tools/Options/Emulation: added "Audio API" option (e.g.
WASAPI/DirectSound for WinUAE plugin).
- Tools/Options/Emulation: Added "Direct3D 11" option for supporting
- Added support for WinUAE lagless vsync mode.
- Plugin and emulation code updates, as per latest versions of WinUAE,
WinFellow and VICE. Special thanks to all developers and testers
- Added Listen button to the Edit Button Action dialog. When pressed,
keyboard or game controller events set the Action field accordingly.
- By holding down Shift when selecting a different
computer model, applicable previous settings are retained (the system
configuration is not reset).
- Added context menu to the RP9 Manifest dialog with Copy and Select
- Added the "Unused Files" group to the listview in the Extras tab,
and to the disks/media listview (Media tab for Amiga platform,
Configuration tab for CBM platform).
Other Authoring and Content Curation Features
- Added "New/RetroPlatform File" entry to the File Explorer context
menu: the zero-length RP9 files created with this function can be edited
in the player.
- When making changes to the guest keyboard layout during an emulation
session, the title layout information can be updated at the end of the
session (no need to Edit the title).
- RP9 Toolbox: the Rescan action may repair manifests of user-edited
RP9 files (without altering the configuration) even when the "Protect
user-edited content" option is set.
- The Convert to RP9 action no longer stops when an empty or corrupt
ZIP file is processed (such files are still reported in the action log).
- Added support for .uae configuration files (load, conversion).
- Tools/Options dialog (Content tab): added Embed Media option.
- Added "Extra Media Changes" dialog: it can be used to save changed
media to the RP9 package, when the emulation plugin stops responding, or
when a medium change is detected after the plugin terminates execution
(and no write activity has been received for the given medium).
- Media files can now be dropped to main window treeview folders, in
order to create new titles.
- ZIP files containing medium files can now be dropped to the main
window, in order to create new titles.
Player Interface and Options
- More player user interface elements can now be drag-and-drop action
targets. For example, media files (e.g. floppy disk images),
screenshots, audio files, and documentation files can be added to a
title by dragging them over a title in the list.
- Folders referenced via "My Folders" entries can now be renamed or
moved using Windows Explorer even when the player is open.
- File menu: added "Open/Screenshots Folder" command.
- Tools/Restore System Files can now restore plugin configurations
- Tools/Options: added "Reset All" buttons in General, Emulation and
- Tools/Options/Emulation: added "Never" setting for the "Fullscreen
from Player" and "Fullscreen from File Explorer" options.
- New layout and input cues in Shared Input Options and Edit Input
- Added Setup Wizard command to the Help menu.
- Added "Add Lifetime License" button to the About Dialog.
High-DPI and Variable-DPI Systems
- Support for new or enhanced multiple-monitor and high-DPI features
introduced in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and Windows 10 October
- Runtime monitor DPI setting changes are now fully supported without
requiring a logoff. Dialogs in general, and details like icons and balloons
look better than ever even after on-the-fly display or system magnification
- The initial magnification level ("1X", 2X", etc.) better takes into
account user preferences while reducing "jumpy" emulation startups. The
handling of individual screen boundaries was also improved.
- When moving the emulation window to a monitor having different DPI
attributes (e.g. traditional monitor to 4K monitor), the magnification
of the emulated screen is adapted accordingly (e.g. switching from 1X to
- Refinements for
less frequent scenarios, like 15-bit and 16-bit desktops.
Other General Enhancements
- New post-installation Wizard.
- Improved rendering of Tip of the Day balloon.
- Added progress visualization to Tip of the Day balloon.
- Improved text scrolling in playback window status bar.
- Added Discord "now playing" status support.
- ZIP files containing medium files can now be played from File
- When emulating an Amiga CDTV, the keyboard menu now includes the
Play/Pause, Stop, Forward and Rewind keys.
- An A-601 expansion card can now be added to Amiga 600 configurations
(adds a battery backed-up clock and 512 KB or 1 MB of Chip RAM).
- Create Blank Hard Disk dialog: increased the preset RDB size to
support more complex file systems.
- Fast memory limit raised to 64 MB in supported scenarios.
- Z3 memory limit extended to 1792 MB for 64-bit plugins and 960 MB
for 32-bit plugins.
- Added remote control Play/Pause, Stop, Forward and Rewind key codes
to CDTV virtual button definition options.
- Added "Help" command to the Keyboard menu (Amiga systems).
- Improved support for "<" and ">" keyboard output, to work around an
issue that prevented the characters from being processed in operating
systems which do not support the extra key as used in international
Amiga keyboards, in combination with a US layout.
CBM 8-Bit Systems
- Added "virtual mouse" functionality (the text cursor can be moved
with a mouse click).
- Added support for multiple-file VIC20 cartridges (e.g. two files, to
be loaded at 0x6000 and 0xA000 memory locations: in the title editor,
specify "None" as Load string and "SYS64802" as Run string).
- Added tape drive analog command to the Tape context menu (emulation
window status bar); also added the possibility to add "recordable" .tap
- Added Cartridge icon and context menu to the emulation window status
- Type Clipboard Text now takes into account the active character set
(uppercase+graphics or lowercase+uppercase).
- Added "Katakana On/Off" command to the Keyboard menu (Japanese
- New "Help/Developer" menu (includes logging options which used to be
- New "Help/Developer/Restart Plugin Only" function.
- Host/Guest Messages dialog: added "Hide Floppy Auto-Seek" option.
- Added input log functionality to the Edit Input Profile dialog.
- Addressed an incompatibility with some USB keyboards, which
prevented the correct emulation of the guest keyboard.
- Addressed an issue whereby under certain circumstances the runtime
insertion of media or peripherals could fail.
- Built-in Amiga boot disks are now correctly embedded after being
made read-write at runtime (after a final confirmation prompt).
- Addressed an issue that prevented media files with an absolute UNC
path location from being added in the title editor.
- Fixed rendering of "upgrade" icon in playback window status bar
(Express Edition mode).
- Guest windows now correctly regain keyboard focus, when Alt-Tab is
used to switch between guest windows or when a window is minimized.
Keyboard events are no longer ignored when the emulation window gets
restored from the minimized state.
- Reset All functionality in Option dialog (Input tab) now corretcly
works on Keyboard Profiles.
- Selecting Rating/Unrated in the context menu of a title (main window
listview) correctly sets the title as unrated, even when the system
contains ratings stored by older versions of the player.
- The title editor window is now correctly sized, if the editor is
invoked from Windows Explorer on systems with multiple monitors with
different DPI attributes.
- The application icon in the About dialog is correctly sized, if the
dialog is open on a monitor with different DPI than the primary monitor.
- The close-confirmation dialog no longer opens behind the emulation
window, when the close button is clicked in the application bar
- The player no longer crashes when a blank disk is created in the RP9
editor and the blank disk template file cannot be found.
- The player no longer crashes when being updated via Software
Director and one or more emulation sessions are open.
- The player no longer crashes when the guest window is closed with
the "Turn Off" right-click menu and the "Guest startup error" message
box is displayed.
- The player no longer crashes when the guest window sample ("Tip of
the day" functionality) is closed.
- The player no longer gets unresponsive when clicking the Minimize
button of the main windows in some circumstances.
- The setup process of some titles having a conditional setup media
option (e.g. AmigaSYS) is now correctly handled again.
- The system shortcut <Alt-Tab> no longer produces keyboard output in
the emulated system.
- Tools/Build Image: fixed a bug that generated ISO images with inaccessible directories when they contained file or directory names
with special characters.
- Fixed printer selection in EpsonQ and PostScript modes.
- Addressed incorrect medium insertion prompt at shutdown affecting
RP9 titles with .prg content.
- Fixed a bug that could cause the Crash Reporter to open multiple
- Fixed a Windows version detection issue which could cause an
incorrect "Amiga Forever requires Windows XP SP3..." message.
- Title editor: Show Changes is no longer triggered only by authoring
- Fixed "Guest startup error 105" and "Guest startup error 111"
scenarios (did only affect beta builds).
- Fixed a bug that allowed the runtime selection of conflicting input
profiles in different input ports.
- Solved an initialization issue with the C128 system.
- Fixed selection of listview items on startup.
- Fixed a bug whereby shared shortcuts could stop working after using
the Escape shortcut to exit fullscreen mode.
- Input device options can now be edited and correctly saved for port
1 of CDTV systems.
- Virtual buttons can now be added in "merge with port" mode on port 1
of CDTV systems.
- PET 2001 titles with a tape medium now correctly start with the tape
inserted in the drive.
- The title editor now correctly shows the default tape drive of PET
- Saving more than one snapshot in the same emulation session
could cause the emulation to freeze with some plugins.
- Keyboard focus could be lost after saving a snapshot.
- Keyboard focus could be lost when switching from window mode
to hardware fullscreen, causing issues with Direct3D 11.
- In some cases, radio button or checkbox images were not
refreshed properly when a change modified another setting.
- The player no longer crashes when a plugin crashes at the end
of a session.